Starting back after few years off….base question

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Pjhrunning

Starting back after few years off….base question

Post by Pjhrunning » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:33 pm

Hello everyone. I live this board. I am
Just getting back into running after 3 years off and weight training and putting on about 30 pounds.

I did a week of 30 Miles and feel ok and had a few questions I was hoping the board could help with.

1. Should I do a time trial now to know property training paces?

2. Should I add strides, hills, tempo, cv work now or wait a few weeks? I was thinking now

I am planning on adding 20-30 min of volume a week to build back a nice base.

Thank you all!

mickle

Re: Starting back after few years off….base question

Post by mickle » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:54 pm

1. Give yourself a couple of weeks before doing a time trial. When you do the time trial do a 2k time trial. 2k is closest to the vVO2 max pace and is the suggested optimal time trial distance for Tinman's Running Calculator.

2. Give yourself 4 weeks at each milage increase to allow the bones and tendons to catch up with your progress. Overuse injuries don't happen instantly but over time.

3. I'd start with some aerobic fartleks and tempo intervals for 6 weeks then progress that to tempo runs and threshold intervals for another 6 weeks, and then threshold intervals or CV intervals and tempo runs.

4. Strides should be done after at least 2 of your easy runs. 200m reps at mile pace/200m jog added on at end of the long intervals will help with anaerobic power development.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Starting back after few years off….base question

Post by Tinman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:38 pm

Looks like some reasonable recommendations.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com