Need Running Shoes

A place for participants to post topics about anything including topics not related to running.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Need Running Shoes

Post by Tinman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi Friends!

I am able to run again for the first time in several months, though my running is only on the treadmill and a short distance. The doctor I saw 3 weeks ago gave me some anti-inflammatory medication, which is taking some pain away by about 50%. I am able to run about 7-8 minutes now, which is better than zero. Anyway, I need help finding shoes that fit for me. I can't really get away to try shoes on; the nearest good running store is a 30 plus minute drive. I am totally swamped almost all the time with schoolwork, student-teaching, coaching, this website, and my family; to make excuses.

My needs: about 12.5 length shoes and wide (2E in some shoes or 4E in others, depending upon how they are constructed). I am about 200lbs (about 20lbs over ideal weight).

Any suggestions are welcome!

Than you,

Tinman

runfastcoach@gmail.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Trackrunner220

Re: Need Running Shoes

Post by Trackrunner220 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:31 pm

I am going to tell you the shoe i have been wearing is the Saucony Kinvara. I have been wearing it for a year and have had a decrease in injuries. Not many people can do with the minimum cushioning, but I found that running in a lighter shoe made it a lot easier on my legs because I am not carrying around as much weight on a 60 min run. I dont know what kind of shoes you like but my two cents is the Kinvara

Pros: Light shoe
Good cushioning (for an 8oz shoe)

Cons: Wear out easily

I cant really review anyother shoe as I have used the Kinvara for both my long run and tempo shoe

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Trackrunner -

Are those shoes available in wide widths?

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:05 pm

If can't settle on one shoe, I would advise ordering from Zappos since you get free shipping and returns.  In fact, you can order multiple items and send back what you don't want. 

If you haven't purchased shoes in a while, do note that the "standard" seems to grow wider with each passing season to accomodate the "growing" trends in American body shapes, not to mention the fact that running shoes are marketed not only to us runners but also to Joe/Jane Public who likes to wear running shoes because they are comfortable and look cool (kind of like with apparel...what was once a medium is now a small).  The Sauconys tend to run more narrow, but you might even be a standard width in a New Balance. 

Personally, I think something middle of the road in the Asics line might be a good fit (2100 series is often a safe bet).  You'll get a soft ride and the line flows nicely if you later want to run in less shoe. 
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:53 pm

[quote="Tinman"]
Trackrunner -

Are those shoes available in wide widths?

Tinman
[/quote]

I only see Wide width D-Medium. So I dont think they are available in a wider width.

Jman

Post by Jman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I agree with ap4305 on the asics , maybe try the 2150. There not fast shoes, but they feel good. With the weight your carrying, some walk jogging workouts will be great in them.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:05 pm

Do Asics run true to size? For example, I have to wear 12.5 in extra wide for Nike shoes.

Also, I don't like medial posts on shoes that prevent pronation. They cause my to have ankle pain.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:20 am

Asics generally run true to size and their widths have gotten wider over the years.  The 2100 series does have some posting but it is more built into the sole rather than a true medial post.

http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/pr ... =250001538
Allan Phillips
www.ventanapt.physio

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks!

When I have a chance I'll try some out. I am not sure what size to order for the Asics. I like 4E for width, but that could mean 11.5 or 12, most likely, if they run true to size.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am

Perhaps I'm a little late here, but I've found the Asics Nimbus to be a pretty nice shoe. It's meant for runners 150+ or high mileage, and comes in widths of D or 2E.  They aren't overly supportive either like the Asics Kayano. I weigh about 150 and am able to get about 500 miles on them before I feel they need to be retired.

I nearly always get my shoes through RoadRunnerSports because of the prices and their great return policy.

Good luck Tinman

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:47 pm

[quote="BoilerTom90"]
Perhaps I'm a little late here, but I've found the Asics Nimbus to be a pretty nice shoe. It's meant for runners 150+ or high mileage, and comes in widths of D or 2E.  They aren't overly supportive either like the Asics Kayano. [/quote]

I agree, the Nimbus is a good shoe and is appropriate for those who are able to control inversion.  They have gotten more hefty over the years, perhaps to make room for other offerings within Asics' "neutral" line. 

The Kayanos cause far more problems than they solve for most people, in my experience.  They are approrpriate for some runners, but are way too much shoe for others who wear them. 
Allan Phillips
www.ventanapt.physio