A good article to read!

A place for participants to post topics about anything including topics not related to running.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A good article to read!

Post by Tinman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Schebo

Re: A good article to read!

Post by Schebo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:28 am

The "how many miles did Coe run" question always seem to come up from time to time. At an endurance sports seminar in Oslo a few years ago I spoke to Marius Bakken about it. He had Peter Coe as his coach early in his career, so he has discussed Seb´s training with Peter and he has also seen his training logs. Seb certainly wasn´t running 35 mpw during his buildup, but he wasn´t running regular 100 mpw either. Most weeks during the winter were 60-70 mpw with occasional higher weeks.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A good article to read!

Post by Tinman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 pm

I have Coe's first book (a small blue one) and I surmised that Peter thought about 75 miles per week was the top amount needed for track training (assuming middle distance). I was able to piece information together regarding Seb's training prior to the Los Angeles Olympic Games in 1984, and it appeared to me that Seb was running approximately 60 miles per week about 4-6 weeks prior to the start of the Olympic Games. I attended the Kinney Midwest Regional XC meet in 1983, and Peter and Seb were there as guests of Coach Joe Newton of York High School. Peter spoke at the seminar (about half an hour) and at one point a coach from Downer's Grove asked Peter about mileage he thought should be run by "mature" (whatever that is) middle distance runners during base training. Peter said 70 miles per week would be enough. I think that indicates what Seb Coe probably was running in the winter. But, Peter also said that he didn't count any running miles Seb put in that were slower than 6:00 pace. He also said that Seb typically ran a very hilly 11-mile route every week for many weeks in a row, and the average pace was round 5:30 per mile (on that very hilly course). That's all I know. What I can say is that 60-70 miles per week at a good pace makes sense for a guy who raced the 800 to the mile and had 46 seconds 400m speed (45.8 in a 4 x 400m relay) and 21.3 for the open 200m at the end of a short, intense workout. To compare, for most of Bernard Lagat's career, as a 1500m runner, he ran 65 miles per week fairly fast. As I recall Peter Elliott of Britain also ran about that amount per week.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com