Basic HR monitor recommendation request

A place for participants to post topics about anything including topics not related to running.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

incarnadine

Basic HR monitor recommendation request

Post by incarnadine » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:34 pm

I want to buy my father in law a HR monitor for Christmas.

He's a track guy, does almost all of his running on the outdoor track or the indoor one in the winter. About 30 mpw, concentrating on the 400m for master's nationals and other races.

I believe that all he'd want would be an instantaneous readout of his HR (no need for a record, since he really doesn't run much distance at all), as well as a stopwatch so he could do his lap times and splits without having to have a second device.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-RS100-Heart ... B000FW3Z6O

or maybe

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Ironman-Tra ... 250&sr=1-1

Any advice? I haven't used a HR monitor in almost a decade, and there seems to be an enormous variation in price even among the non-GPS models.

road dog

Re: Basic HR monitor recommendation request

Post by road dog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Incarnadine,
I own the Polar RS100, and another model of the Timex HR monitor. 

The Polar RS100 is a great HR monitor, because it has numerous laps(maybe 99), a back light(handy for workouts in the dark), and does the HR/avg per split and overall time.  The negative about the monitor is that you really almost have to send it back to Polar for periodic(maybe every 1-2years) battery replacements.

The Timex model was similiar w/ less laps(maybe 27, which can be an issue if you do intervals over 12).  Plus, I had multiple issues w/ the chest piece battery dying.  However, I did like the lap button, which was abnormally bigger(makes hitting the lap button easy w/ gloves on).

Overall, the Polar RS100 is recommended and for $76 that is a bagain (think I paid $90 at amazon as well).

note-  do not store the chest piece in a closed area (aka locker, gym bag) or the chest piece battery will die sooner than expected

-road dog

incarnadine

Re: Basic HR monitor recommendation request

Post by incarnadine » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll be purchasing it tomorrow.