Military: Anyone in it? Out of it? Opinions?

A place for participants to post topics about anything including topics not related to running.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

ATimmins

Re: Military: Anyone in it? Out of it? Opinions?

Post by ATimmins » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:28 am

i dont care what reason you join, you immediatly get my respect as soon as you raise your hand, just want to make sure you are looking at the very large picture. 
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10
Powered by Powerbar - www.powerbar.com
Dressed for Success in Brooks - www.brooksrunning.com
Running log - http://www.logarun.com/calendars/atimmins/
Running Blog - http://www.powerbar.com/blog/atimmins.aspx

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:23 pm

The other intention with posting what I did (aside from just addressing whether or not Army was being chosen as a "safer" option), but also to just to show a few examples of what a person is getting into when signing on. It truly can be great for experience and career progression, but just reminding that going in harms way is also part of the job. I mean to clarify that from my end as well. No one can truly know exactly what they are getting in to ahead of time. Well, I guess perhaps I did, but I had a lot of folks I knew in the military and also inadvertantly had years of research before I signed on.

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:02 am

AT do you know if I did the reserves would I still be eligible (if I live with my parents?) or would it be active duty?

Im just wondering, also what does the consensus think:

Go for the more sure fire Army reserve OCS or push back at my recruiter go Active duty OCS?

My main thing when i go to MEPS is to see if i can get money for paralegal, do that 3-4 stint and then maybe go to law school with my Montgomery money(my other dream is to go to law school) and reenlist for JAG. But if I cant get that than you guys are making me feel like I should def do OCS...but do you think I should push the OCS for active even if i dont have a shot of making it, or do you think I would be accepted based on the information u know about me?

If all else fails Ill go Intel.

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:51 am

Eligable for what?
1.5 Mile:

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:58 am

the loan thing you told me about. Where my income is low enough. Do you know if I did the reservs would that count as my military service to be able to pay base of my monthly loans?

Also if it does, do you know if living with my rents would affect this?

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:16 pm

IBR is a national plan that has nothing to do with military.  ITs made for low income individuals that have school debt.  All student loan companies have to offer it if your loan is federal or something.

Check this out, its what i did.

I consolidated all my wifes loan here:
http://www.loanconsolidation.ed.gov/  (federal program becuase my wife had loans at 8 different places)

Then i applied for the IBR repayment plan:
More info here:
IBR repayment

I tossed in some numbers for you in the calculator and here what i got:
100,000 loan - 30,000 income - 170 dollar repayment
125,000 loan - 20,000 income - 50 dollar repayment

IF you join the reserves and live at home with another job then the 2nd scenario will be closest to yours.  AS long as you parents don't claim you as a dependent it doesn't matter where you live.

Just be careful in letting your loans determine your enlistment/commission options plus which service.  If you think one branch is easier to commission in then the other, then you have to take into consideration what type of person can commission.  No service is perfect, but if it is REALLY easy to commission in one branch, think of the dirt bags that can do it.

I'm happy the commissioning process for the Air Force got very hard lately, it means younger people then me who will be my boss will actually be smart, caring, and motivated.

I have 2 degrees and very high marks in all areas of my career, but don't even have the faintness desire to commission.  It's a very long and hard job, and the decisions you make will affect hundreds if not thousands.
1.5 Mile:

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:26 pm

ALright thanks for the information, all that actually looks pretty god, gotta look into it a little bit more.

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:55 am

[quote="Trackrunner220"]
My main thing when i go to MEPS is to see if i can get money for paralegal, do that 3-4 stint and then maybe go to law school with my Montgomery money(my other dream is to go to law school) and reenlist for JAG. But if I cant get that than you guys are making me feel like I should def do OCS...but do you think I should push the OCS for active even if i dont have a shot of making it, or do you think I would be accepted based on the information u know about me?
[/quote]

If you actually want to be a JAG (which service?), I would find a way to get through the year financially and then use the following year to get things in order for that path (its probably too late to enter law school this fall).  Each service is very different in the programs offered an in the amount of financial assistance available, but all offer similar timeliness.  Under your proposed scenario of using an enlisted tour as a precursor to going to law school and then becoming a JAG, you wouldn't be operational until 2018 at the earliest.  The beneift of finding some way to pay the bills in the short term and then getting into law school in 2012 with a commitment from a service is that you will pick up time in service during law school and will start your first tour as a JAG as either a senior O-2 or possibly an O-3 by 2014-15.

And just to reiterate...as far as I can tell, the only person who has frowned upon your chances of getting into OCS was an enlisted recruiter in the Army.  As Tex mentioned earlier in this thread, you're getting exposed to some valuable wisdom around here that you simply won't find out of recruiters.  "OCS" is such a broad spectrum of services and communities within the services that it is misleading to oversimplify your chances.
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:00 pm

AP thats intriguing, Im going to have to ask my recruiter about that direction

Otherwise I am going to give it one big push and tell my recruiter I would like to go infront of the Officers selection board and take my chances.
Last edited by Trackrunner220 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:13 am

Next time I see my recruiter I am going to tell him I want to take my purported 30% chance at OCS. If I dont get in then I will go enlsited, but Im going to tell him I at least want the shot to try and get in.

Whats that Michel Jordan quote: You miss 100% of the shot you dont take?

I guess after listening to all you guys, I at least want to take one shot.

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:55 am

[quote="Trackrunner220"]
Next time I see my recruiter I am going to tell him I want to take my purported 30% chance at OCS. If I dont get in then I will go enlsited, but Im going to tell him I at least want the shot to try and get in.

[/quote]

I'll just reiterate something that we already mentioned: when you take out the applicants who have virtually zero chance of getting selected (such as those with a disqualifying medical condition, those too out of shape to pass the PT test, and those with too much criminal baggage) your chances are far greater than 30%.  Obviously the highly demanding fields like Navy SPECWAR or anything that involves flying are far more competitive, but as a whole your chances are effectively greater than 30%. 
Allan Phillips
www.ventanapt.physio

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:39 am

Thats preciously why I am going to give it a shot for OCS, after everyone here telling me it would be the best decision, and after everyone talking it out about how just because my recruiter says one thing doesnt mean he is looking at the whole picture.
Plus I can do intelligence whenever, let me at least try for OCS

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:46 pm

I went to the Commander today (a captain) for some pre-bootcamp drills.

I told him how I have a renegotiation of contract and how I am thinking of OCS, he told me if I can get letters of recommendation from military individuals, it would look better but he says since he serves on the boards its truly a difficult process. He said however for me to give it a shot, and to try and get it (as long as I am willing to enlist afterwards, of course that would be said) because I have nothing to lose but some time.

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:45 pm

[quote="Trackrunner220"]
its truly a difficult process. He said however for me to give it a shot, and to try and get it (as long as I am willing to enlist afterwards, of course that would be said) because I have nothing to lose but some time.
[/quote]

Keep in mind too that if you don't get in the first time, re-applying will show persistence in the eyes of the board.  You will likely be competing against applicants on their second or third try.  It's a financial hardship on just about everyone to be rejected and deal with total life uncertainty until another chance to reapply, but these things often come down to who is willing to stick with it and refuse to take "no" for an answer. 
Allan Phillips
www.ventanapt.physio

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:15 am

Very good point AP!
Yeah talking to the captain today (who went straight into OCS) really answered a few questions, he helped out a bit. But yeah, I will see where I am at when that time comes, if I can just get a short term contract and a skill, ill just take the E-4, and deal with it.