Military: Anyone in it? Out of it? Opinions?

A place for participants to post topics about anything including topics not related to running.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

lumpynose

Re: Military: Anyone in it? Out of it? Opinions?

Post by lumpynose » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Why can't you pay off the loan with your military paychecks?  If you stay in the officers quarters and are frugal then your expenses will be close to zero so each month you'll be able to make a payment from all of or almost all of your paycheck.  When I was living on base I had a roommate who wasn't even cashing or depositing his paychecks, he had a stack of them in his locker.  (Yes, he was foolish.)

lumpynose

Post by lumpynose » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Just to be clear; it really bothers me that you're considering the Army.  As far as I'm concerned the Army is the ghetto of the 4 services.  That's not counting the Coast Guard, which I don't know anything about.  You're looking at what, 6 years?  6 years of the Army?  Yuck.

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:28 am

From what I understand Airforce and Navy is hard to become an officer

Marines I can become an officer, but mostly an infantry officer.

I have 130,000 in loans, so with an officer's salary, I would be making roughly 35k (i believe), so it would take my entire paycheck of a 4 year commitment to knock it out.

With the army I can pay off half of it, 65k loan repayment, and my active commitment will be only 3-4 years (i go to reprocess sometime next week).

I would love to be an officer, but the marines is the only viable option to become an officer right off the bat (unless I do Army Reserve, I dont know about the other two branches but from recruiters i talked to said its a bit harder for the selection process.)

Basically I just want an intelligence job, that I can get with the Army that i cannot get with the Marines. I want to serve my 3-4 years, hopefully reenlist and go to OCS so I can have an Intel MOS and not get slotted into infantry or another.

If you can enlighten me on the Navy process, maybe i am misguided (my cousin was up to go to OCS for the navy but was denied after waiting awhile to know if he was selected.)
Last edited by Trackrunner220 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Trackrunner -

While in the military you are legally allowed to delay loan re-payments for school (I did for 4 years). Thus, your 130,000 would not be an issue while you were in the service. If I were to do it all over again, I'd become an officer, build my rank, and as soon as my salary was high enough I'd start paying on the loans.

Also, you may check with the officer recruiters. It is very possible that you could have a loan-payment benefit for joining the service, where the service pays off your loan or part of your loan in installments. You may have to sign a 6-year contract in order to gain this benefit, but it may very well be worth it.

Take care,

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks for the response Tinman!

I thought I could only delay them for a set amount of time. I will definitely look into that, and if its what you say (i dont doubt you, just want to double check) than I will definitely try and go that route. I just prefer not to be a Marine officer, so hopefully I can determine this all soon.

lumpynose

Post by lumpynose » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:16 pm

I would rather you be an infantry Marine officer than anything in the Army, but that's just me and my low opinion of the Army and high opinion of the Marines.

Tinman's remark about talking to the officer recruiters is very, very important.  I hadn't even thought about that.  What I remember hearing over and over when I was in the service is how the recruiters would lie and say anything to get people to join.  They promised guys all kinds of things that they knew would never happen; for example, what they'd be doing in the service.

The way it worked when I joined is I went to the recruiter's office, filled out some paperwork.  Then on the designated day went back, got on a bus and went to the processing center in Los Angeles where I (and many other guys) spent almost all day getting checked over by doctors, then we got on a bus and went to boot camp in San Diego.  During the first week of boot camp we all spent a day taking a bunch of tests that evaluated what we knew; math, English, science, etc.  The results of those tests determined our future career path.  Nothing that the recruiter did (which was nothing, except perhaps make false promises to you) or said had any such affect.  I remember when we got the results back which said what training we'd be getting, how one of my friends was so upset and weeping because he was going to be doing something completely different than what his recruiter had told him.

So be very careful about what the recruiters promise you.
Last edited by lumpynose on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lumpynose

Post by lumpynose » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:29 pm

I also find it extremely hard to believe that the Army is simply going to give you 65k.  Have you checked the Army's web site to verify this?

I'm reminded of the lawyer joke, which I've transformed for a military recruiter:

Q: How can you tell when a recruiter is lying?

A: When his lips are moving.

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:35 pm

[quote="Trackrunner220"]
I just prefer not to be a Marine officer[/quote]

If go to Quantico (OCS) with any hint of that in your mind, the Sergeant Instructors will ensure that you won't become one.  Officer Selection Officers (officer recruiters) get paid to attract bodies, but the SI's are the final gatekeepers to ensure that only those with 100pct commitment make into "their" Corps.  I don't mean to be overly trite, but one reason the Corps has a minimum of tangible incentives to join is that they only want young men and women who view pinning on the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor as part of a higher calling and not as a convenient way to resolve debt.  That's nothing against you or any other services; it is just a different cultural approach and one that is reflected through their selection process. 
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Have you looked into IBR? (income based repayment) Becuase my income is so low (miltiary pay) i don't have to pay back my loans right now.  And as my pay raises my payment is based off of my income.  At 30 years, your loan is forgiven. This works for anyone, even someone working at burger king.

I will not lie to you.  The fact that the soul reason you are joing the military is becuase of student debt worries me.  You will be in charge of people, and sooner or later the decisions you make will determine who lives and dies.  Even when im CONUS i can greatly greatly affect the quality of life my airmen have, and if i make the wrong decisions their lives, families, kids, etc suffer.  The military is a life, not a job.   
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10