Military: Anyone in it? Out of it? Opinions?

A place for participants to post topics about anything including topics not related to running.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Trackrunner220

Military: Anyone in it? Out of it? Opinions?

Post by Trackrunner220 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:41 pm

I am thinking of joining and am trying to gather all the first hand accounts I can, any branch is appreciative.

ATimmins

Re: Military: Anyone in it? Out of it? Opinions?

Post by ATimmins » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:02 am

There is no repayment plans for officers.  But the money they make would compensate the enlisted bonus very quickly though.
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10
Powered by Powerbar - www.powerbar.com
Dressed for Success in Brooks - www.brooksrunning.com
Running log - http://www.logarun.com/calendars/atimmins/
Running Blog - http://www.powerbar.com/blog/atimmins.aspx

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:02 pm

You just asked a question which when I see posed; I can't help but give my view on.

If you make that choice to join, I don't think you will ever regret it. If you have your bachelors, unless there is a specific reason (as I did with a bachelors) that you want to go in enlisted, then work for an officer spot. After a number of years of putting it off for personal family reasons I enlisted in the Navy Reserves in 2006, just 1 month shy of turning 30. I got the "rate" (or MOS, job, etc) which I wanted, and also the most highly mobilized rate in the Navy; so I wasn't joining just to put in a weekend a month. And truthfully I was joining to eventually transfer to a program which actually was closed off to Reservists.

I was called up in the fall of 2008 and last year served 9 months in Afghanistan. It was easily perhaps the greatest experience of my life. If you serve you will carry a pride which few others will ever have.

The environment I worked in was a joint environment with all of our US branches except for the Coast Guard. My overall observation was that in so far as how they treat each other amongst their ranks it went from the Air Force at the top, down to Navy, Marines, Army. (The Big Army was especially terrible when it came to treatment of their enlisted). The Corp I think it goes without saying though has the greatest esprit de corp and camaraderie, hands down.

As far as boot camp and the respective difficulty, from most to least, in terms of difficulty (it is my opinion only formed from talking with others and my own experience) you are looking at USMC, Army, Navy, Air Force. I can tell you from my experience that Navy  boot camp was a miserable joke. I got so out of shape and put on about 8 lbs….of fat ! I kid you not. I almost couldn’t believe that some kids came in and actually lost weight!!!…that is just a barometer of how poor of condition some kids come in.  The Navy boot camp basically just hits you with a lot of sleep deprivation and since so many months are down right cold in Great Lakes, Il…the recruit crud/sickness hits everyone. But in boot camp the “Intensive Training” was actually something I looked forward too and enjoyed the exercise when it did come. The problem was that I held a position in our division and the IT was not hard, my division commanders actually eventually just excluded me from it to get other work done. I’ve followed a lot of your posts and at least from a running standpoint you’ll be fine. At age 30 I won all of our divisions timed runs (and as an equivalent timing, when I got back into shape after boot camp my timed run for a 1.5 mile run was only about 8:36 on sub-par training, and still fairly sleep deprived…. Point is…I know you’re faster). And let me add that I’m not saying any of this to impress you (I have friends who are SEAL, SF, Pararescue, so I am definitely humbled), but to impress upon you that you possess the tools that you need at your age with a degree and your running.

I’ll chime in more later, gotta get back to work. When I got back from Afgh I kind of waffled on whether or not to put on an Afghan Campaign sticker on my truck. Mainly because you always know that someone else had worst conditions and sacrificed more. But then I got to thinking about some numbers. Let’s say that there are approx 2 million active and reserve military members, out of the 330 million people in the US. Basically that means that of the total population the military makes up 0.6 % . Then from there…how many will ever say that they have served in a war zone, and it is safe to say that the numbers decrease even further. The sticker now proudly resides on my rear windshield. I am also working through a couple of injury related issues and will likely be going active duty once I am back to normal (which was my plan even before I was called up).

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Just make sure you know what you are getting into.  The pay, benefits, and experience is 2nd to none, and in today's economy, simply can not be beat.  But there is no reset button, it is a commitment that you must take seriously.  A lot of people join the reserves first, realize they like it, and then activate.  Maybe that is a route you would be interested in?
1.5 Mile:
Powered by Powerbar - www.powerbar.com
Dressed for Success in Brooks - www.brooksrunning.com
Running log - http://www.logarun.com/calendars/atimmins/
Running Blog - http://www.powerbar.com/blog/atimmins.aspx

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:48 pm

From talking with Atimmins through text and and now what Texnav has posted, these two views def are swaying me into the military, its just which branch do I choose...

AIr force: More of a laid back (in retrospect to the marines or the army) but can still get what I want out of the military (training for my resume in a govt job...unless I fall in love with being in the air force).

Navy: See the world, but get stuck on a boat for a majority of time (How does one run, if they are a boat? Or do they have a gym you are forced to hide away in?) Navy also gives a decent tuition repayment and the recruiter i talked to on the phone yesterday said three fields they are looking for are, intel, health and engineering...and I want to go in for intel

Army: If you go reserves you get to select which section of the army you go in (so i can choose the intel) but i was told any other branch including army enlisted you can not choose...plus a good tutition assitance and up to 20,000 sign on

Marines: The physical shape, the brotherhood, the title of being one of the best fighters in the US and world. Not much money and more of a risk to being sent into the warzone right away.

So i need to determine if I want to go in and get more money (army, navy), get the best physical training (marines), get in, do what I need to do, and leave 4 years later (just to make enough to get some debt paid off while getting valuable training)...

Please if anyone else has experience do post...Timmins and tex both enlightened me and am looking for all points of view

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Also at first I was thinking reserves, but if I go in to be an officer I might as well go the enlisted route and get everything paid for...

a kid i talked to the other day told me his recruiter swayed him away from the reserves by saying

"You deliver pizzas right now, do you really want to go thru all this training..just to go back to delivering pizzas?"

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:19 pm

if you can go officer, go officer.  The pay and the long term benefits out weigh whatever small repayment you may get.  Also, if you are not looking to stay in long term, the commissioning will look good on when applying for a government civilian job.  As for fitness, if the only reason you are looking to go marines is fitness, dont.  You can get fit in any branch, but what the army and marines deal with day in and day out is not worth trying to get some school loans paid off.  By the way things sound, you should probably look into the Navy.  That takes alot for me to say, being active duty air force, but it seems they have all the perks you want.
1.5 Mile: