Newbie Need Help

A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Sanseth

Newbie Need Help

Post by Sanseth » Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 am

Hello all,

Im brand new to distance running and decided im gonna give it a go, but i have no idea how to structure a workout program.

So a couple of months ago I ran in a 5k on a whim. I hadnt done and sort of cardio in over a year, but I had been lifting 5-6 days a week for the past few years with powerlifting goals in mind(pretty much only squat,bench,deadlift - rarely going over 5 reps in a set).
I was gonna be happy with just finishing it, but after I got going I felt pretty good and ended up getting 22:15ish. Quads were sore for about a week after.

I thought hey maybe if i did any kind of training i could be half decent at this.

Stats: (doubt anyone cares bout any of this)
Height:  5' 8.5"
weight: 185-190
1mile: think i did like a 6:05 for a high school fit test thing?
5k: 22:15ish
Squat:355
Bench:245
Deadlift:445

SO, If someone could point me in the right direction of what I should be doing, and link some good reading material for a newb to running, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by Sanseth on Thu May 02, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

sward

Re: Newbie Need Help

Post by sward » Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Welcome Sanseth,

I'd recommend looking at the "Tinman's Articles" and "Tinman's Charts" links that are positioned right above the topics/threads area on this site.  Use the charts to gauge your workout based on your most recent 5k race, not your goal time.  As someone who's made plenty of mistakes over the past 3 years since I started running, my first bit of advice would be don't overdue it, both in building up how many miles you are doing, or how stressful your workout sessions are.  Better to underdue it that overdue it. 

As you have questions, do searches on this site and you're likely to find them already answered.  Good luck.

Regards, Steve

dkggpeters

Re: Newbie Need Help

Post by dkggpeters » Thu May 02, 2013 2:33 pm

You need to start building a base and getting in consistent running 5 or 6 days a week.  I would start with 3 miles a day for 5 or 6 days for a few weeks then start to slowly build the mileage.  I would build the mileage by starting to do a longer run on the weekend and then when you are comfortable with this then you can slowly add mileage to your other runs.  You should probably have at least a couple of months of just easy consistent running then you can start getting into quality sessions.