Weather and Racing

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Weather and Racing

Post by Tinman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:58 am

A topic to think / discuss: Weather and it's relationship to Performance.

I am reminded of how the weather influences race-times. Two runners I coach flew to the famed Gasparilla 15km road-race in Florida this past weekend. Unfortunately the temperature was in the 70's and humidity about 80%, which brings about a heat index of roughly 80. As shown in my chart- see Tinman Tools on the home page for the chart - performance loss is about 3% at a heat index of 80. As runners, we are hard on ourselves - we expect good results from the hard work we put in - so it's natural for us to be disappointed when a time is slower than expected. But, using the Heat Index Chart I provided one can figure out just how much weather truly effected performance, and the adjustments provide accurate information about the relationship between training efforts and race-performance. I offer this post as a way of keeping people from beating themselves up for results that don't meet expectations. Take a moment to think about your weather and race-times. Often people are surprised, for example, at how much faster they run in the autumn, once the temps lower in the 60's and 50's, which is optimal.

Take care,

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Chris

Re: Weather and Racing

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 pm

I live in Florida and ran a 5k this past weekend under similar conditions.

While fighting an upper-respiratory infection, on antibiotics and sinus medication, having missed three training sessions prior to the race, AND the course having three long rolling hills (unheard of down here) I came within 23 seconds of my PB.

I can only wonder what ideal conditions could have brought.