Early days but success following the Tinman way.

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Wellpark

Early days but success following the Tinman way.

Post by Wellpark » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi All,

Some may have followed a previous post when I was struggling with injury November - December '10.

Despite this I had been following a Tinman approach and I was beginning to see improvements to my racing times. Perhaps more importantly, I was performing better, more relaxed about my training and enjoying my continued lifestyle/experiences.

The support from this forum has helped me to achieve all of the above.

The Plantar Faciitis has cleared up. I have been training under the guidance of Tinman since the turn of the year and I am still in the process of rehabilitating from the injury and getting myself 'back on track'.

Yesterday, I ran another PB (every race since following the Tinman Way has resulted in a PB). I knocked 35 seconds off my previous best in November '10 (two races /year over the same course). The shocker was that I won the race!

Lets get things into context though, the guys I was running against, who are typically ahead off me, were all off par. The club champion finnished behind me by 10 seconds, but would usually have been ahead by over 1 minute.

Consistency is key, Tinman schedules have taken the uneccessary strain out of my training, which has given me the energy and focus to put into areas that will help me improve.

The intensity might be slightly lower and the frequency of Key sessions might be less, however I am racing fresher and with better running form.

I know it is not rocket science, but this forum has given me the confidence to 'change my ways' 'go back to the drawing board and start again'.

At 37, I have always been a mediocre athlete, however I am now beginning to realise more of my potential and enjoy the experience of putting one foot in front of the other.

Thanks again for all your support.

I hope you all have equal or greater succes with your own endeavours!

Wellpark

ap4305

Re: Early days but success following the Tinman way.

Post by ap4305 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:45 pm

[quote="Wellpark"]

Yesterday, I ran another PB (every race since following the Tinman Way has resulted in a PB). I knocked 35 seconds off my previous best in November '10 (two races /year over the same course). The shocker was that I won the race!

Lets get things into context though, [/quote]

What else is there to put in context?  You ran a personal best, crossed the finish line before everyone else, and continue to improve.  You competed well against yourself, the clock, and the others who showed up.  That's all you can ask for (about the other thing you might be competing against are records, which means you are competing against people who aren't even there).  It's not your responsibility to ensure your competition runs up to their normal level.  If they handed out trophies based upon previous PB's then we wouldn't bother running the race to begin with.  Winning is a skill that is not easy to acquire.  Be proud.  Sometimes we don't appreciate how hard it is to win something until we stop winning.     

Glad to hear of your continued success!
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc