Rocket City Marathon

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

nancyd

Rocket City Marathon

Post by nancyd » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:28 am

I won't bore you all w/ the details.  But it wasn't my finest day.  Didn't really feel "good" going into race.  Got through the half in 1:37, planned on a 1:35-6 (wanting a slightly neg split), and just felt off. 
I have never had a good race day stomach.  So this time, tried the honey gel in training, which worked ok, but not on race day.  I took one at about 50 minutes, and by the half my stomach was cramping.  By mile 25, I was giving the honey back to the course.  UGH.  Ended with a very disappointing 3:27.  Was beat out for first place AG by 45 seconds.  If I hadn't thrown up, I would have got first. 

I think I'll have to just use some hard candy.  I can't stomach the sports drinks either, so not sure what to do, would love some nutrition advise.

Anyway...on to Boston. 

Nancy

dwang_71

Re: Rocket City Marathon

Post by dwang_71 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi nancy,
I am sorry to hear of your bad race experience, but AG2 is not too shabby and I would take that any day. So congrats on that!

I also cannot take too many sports gels and sports drinks when I do my long runs and races. I also threw up at CIM although it was after I crossed the finish line. What works for me is Propel and bananas. I know this is hard as you have to carry your own sports bottle and bananas.. Most marathons I have ran, they usually have them on the course at some point. You may have to carry one or half a banana for the first half if you don't want to count on the race course having it. Bananas have been the only thing I have eaten when I raced marathons where it actually made my stomach feel better rather than worse.

Looking forward to the Boston training!

Danny

nancyd

Post by nancyd » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks very much Danny.
I'll give that a try.  I have a few 1/2 marathons on my way to Boston.  Hopefully I can use them as testing to see if that'll work for me.

Happy training!

Nancy

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:21 am

[quote="nancyd"]
I have never had a good race day stomach.  So this time, tried the honey gel in training, which worked ok, but not on race day.  I took one at about 50 minutes, and by the half my stomach was cramping.  By mile 25, I was giving the honey back to the course.  [/quote]

Did you make any changes to your diet in the week(s) preceding the race?  Sometimes in chasing the magic pre-race diet (i.e. the traditional carbo-loading), the change from normalcy can make our body's digestion unsettled.  If you were sharing your food with the course before halfway and you haven't had any problems in training, I would be inclined to look at pre-race nutrition as a culprit. 

I bet you had more challenging runs in training as compared to your effort level fifty minutes into the marathon.  It is hard to blame it on racing under those circumstances, since fifty minutes at marathon pace shouldn't feel like "racing"....and if it is hard enough to feel like "racing" at that point it doesn't matter what you eat because you'll be in trouble by the end of the race anyway.
Last edited by ap4305 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

nancyd

Post by nancyd » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:20 pm

I agree!  I think pre-race nutrition did play a part.  I think I simply ate too much both of the two days preceding the race.  But, unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've had stomach problems on race day.  I think it's a combo of pre-race nerves and decreased circulation to gut.  I've run marathons without any calories, and actually usually do better in them.  But I somehow listen to everyone around me telling me I would do better w/ calories, so I keep trying, usually w/ results like Rocket City. 
Thanks for the help.

Nancy