Chicago

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

BoilerTom90

Re: Chicago

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks much everyone for all the kind words.  I appreciate it!

I'm already thinking about a spring marathon, and I'm determined to run smarter.  Tinman suggested a lower-key marathon to help avoid getting swept along by all the excitement.

Tom

ap4305

Re: Chicago

Post by ap4305 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:37 pm

BoilerTom,

Don't forget that you earned a pretty solid half marathon time a few weeks ago.  Maybe you didn't do so great at your goal event but you do have a great half marathon time to show for your efforts.  I had the same combo a few years ago...rough full preceded by a substantial PR in a half. 

As AT said, sometimes we put so much into these marathons that it is mind boggling.  My theory is that part of the allure in building up to a marathon is that a marathon is the closest we can get to the mental high from the "do-or-die" urgency of an Olympics or to recreate the urgency of national championships from our scholastic days.  If a 5k or 10k doesn't go as planned there is always next week. 
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc