Chicago

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

ap4305

Chicago

Post by ap4305 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:21 am

Good luck to all racing Chicago this weekend!  Let's hear some post race feedback when you guys feel up to it. 
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

BoilerTom90

Re: Chicago

Post by BoilerTom90 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:07 pm

will do... I feel like Tinman's training has me in pretty good shape. I just hope the weather cooperates.

oro

Post by oro » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:45 pm

Good luck to everyone participating from the forum!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:27 am

My dad, who lives in Illinois, told me today the weather is supposed to be in the 80's on Sunday, during the Chicago Marathon. My concern is the people will continue targeting a specific time, which would be doable in cool weather but not in hot weather. About three years ago Tim, a very good runner I coached, was in about 2:25 shape, but the weather was awful and he still ran 2:25 pace through the half-marathon mark. It cost him a lot, and he slowed to 2:45 pace. I recommend to anyone competing, such as Boiler Tom, whom I coach, to start the race at a slower pace if the weather is hot, and slow down as the temperature rises. It's the best way to run the race.  Good luck!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:17 am

do we have toms bib number?
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10
Powered by Powerbar - www.powerbar.com
Dressed for Success in Brooks - www.brooksrunning.com
Running log - http://www.logarun.com/calendars/atimmins/
Running Blog - http://www.powerbar.com/blog/atimmins.aspx

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:59 pm

[quote="ATimmins"]
do we have toms bib number?
[/quote]

http://results.public.chicagomarathon.c ... &ageclass=
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:45 pm

I haven't had a chance to communicate with Tom yet. I know he must be disappointed. No doubt, the early pace got away from him: instead of running about 6:50-7:00 he was 6:26. This happens to many of us because we get excited: the effort feels so easy in the early going of marathons - like a walking pace. Running too fast catches up with us all!

I recall going through the first 13.1 miles of my first marathon at 2:40 pace and hitting the wall at 19 miles. I thought, "How could I go from feeling so good to so bad so fast?" 

Tom H. prepared well for the marathon, sucking it up and working through hot and humid summer weather, doing key Big (long) workouts with consistency. I was sure he was in sub-3 hour shape. I saw the weather report - not good!

Anyway, I know Tom did his best, and it's always hard to deal with not hitting one's goal. My heart goes out to you, brother! Been there too! Hopefully next time the result will be what you want.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:34 pm

In the interest of completeness and time, I'm posting what I emailed to Tinman.

-------------

The race didn't go as planned. I really did try to start at what felt like an easy pace for the first 10 miles. I was running 6:30's to 6:35s most of that time. It felt like a slow jog, and I was trying to take in the scenery and not worry about pace. I was aware of the pace and intentionally trying to slow down but every split stayed in that range.  I did take a little solace seeing a group of guys in front of me early on that were right ahead of me in the Chicago Half in September.

side note: I just now saw your post on TheRunZone about the weather and starting slower.

I didn't really notice the heat too much early on. However, by mile 18 I noticed I had stopped sweating.  This really surprised me because I was consuming either water or Gatorade at each station up until that point. 

Shortly after that I started to feel weak, and could feel a few cramps in my quads and hamstrings beginning to develop. At that point, I knew a chance at a good time was gone. So, rather pushing a feeble issue, and being one of the many guys getting carted off in ambulances, I decided to just finish comfortably, and if that meant walking, I walked.

At the end I felt very nauseous, and spent over 2 hours in the medical tent trying to replenish the severe dehydration state. Nothing I tried to drink would stay down.  Moreover, it appeared everything I had consumed during the race never got into my system. It appeared to just stayed in my stomach only to come up after the race. Perhaps that explains the big knot in my stomach the last 4 miles. It wasn't until they gave me an IV that I was able to really function and leave the medical tent.

I'm feeling fine now, other than some expected aches and pains. Obviously, I'm disappointed.  I should have been more disciplined and started slower knowing it was going to get hot.  I don't know what I would do different from a fueling and hydration issue. I couldn't consume any more than I did during the race.

In a nutshell, I paid dearly again for too fast of a start given the conditions. Perhaps one of these years I'll learn. 

Tom

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:11 pm

It may be dramatic, but i have seen advice in the past about walking when they hit a mile mark early.  This may be to dramatic for some, but it made some valid points.  Walking was not to add in rest, but to take your body out of rhythm for a few seconds so you could attempt to get back to goal pace.  The goal was only to have to do it 1 or 2 times until you fell into the correct rhythm.

What is everyones thoughts on this?
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10