1:11:08

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

ATimmins

1:11:08

Post by ATimmins » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:45 pm

San Jose Half - Starting to get frustrated here guys.  Ran better last year, thinking of converting back to the old methods.  Really haven't done anything worth while even though ive consistantly hit over 100mpw.
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10
Powered by Powerbar - www.powerbar.com
Dressed for Success in Brooks - www.brooksrunning.com
Running log - http://www.logarun.com/calendars/atimmins/
Running Blog - http://www.powerbar.com/blog/atimmins.aspx

ap4305

Re: 1:11:08

Post by ap4305 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:37 pm

I think a similar discussion came up last year, but the fact is that you may need someone to manage your training individually on a more regular basis and with a defined long term protocol.  At your high level, success is all about managing the day-to-day details and less about big picture methods.  You've made some pretty rapid progress in your young career but at some point just throwing more mileage or new methods at "problems" either won't work or will take much longer to work than a more nuanced approach.  I'm not saying less mileage is an answer (in fact, I'd say less mileage ISN'T the answer), but "the devil is in the details."  I'm obviously a Tinman guy, but the most important thing is finding someone or something that will keep the ball rolling week after week since it is really those details that will make or break you.  I really don't care who it is or what their methods are so long as they hold true to the principles of consistency and development.  Any system that cultivates consistency is by definition a good one, in my opinion.   
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Last year a very basic system worked for me.  It wasn't fun, and everyone said it was the wrong way, or there was better ways.  But every time i tried a new way, i feel as though i wasted time.  I only have 2 months left of my season, so its back to the basics and we will re-establish goals after that.

We shall see, i guess i just needed to vent.
1.5 Mile:

Wellpark

Post by Wellpark » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:30 am

Timmins,

I feel your pain. You instinctively know that you can go faster if you get the combination of training right. You are dedicated and will follow advice when given.

Lydiard often spoke about having to be prepared to lose races, even a few weeks out from Key events. There are always times when we don't perform as well as we think we should and those under par performances are the toughest to take.

I can only try to encourage you by saying that 'time is not running out'. With a good coach and time to reflect you can learn from your race experience  and progress.

I am prepared to run and race slower before I improve and I have had to do that in order to reap the rewards later. From my very limited knowledge of your training you have the quantity and quality under the bonnet. What you have done less of this season, is race.

This does not mean you need to be racing more, how often you race, depends on your goals. Sharpening and being in peak race shape is Key and I have read a few threads where you focus on this. What AP is suggesting is right. You need someone that you can trust, who knows and understands how 'You Tick'. General principles will not do this for you.

My old coach used to remind me of a very important principle, 'miles in the bank'. Something I heard here was 'the hay is in the barn'. Take courage you have not lost the ability you had last year, you are most certainly more conditioned. The question is how to cash in on your investment.

I wish you every success. You have the talent.

Wellpark

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:29 pm

1:09:40, thank you guys for the kind words.
1.5 Mile:

Wellpark

Post by Wellpark » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:33 am

That's great Timmins,

What race? How did it feel? Whats next?

All the best

Wellpark

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:04 am

humboldt half marathon.  I knew by my workouts i was fitter, just couldn't figure out why i was having such a rough time racing.  I think it was a mental thing more than anything, so i told myself that i was fit and i just needed to go for it.  So i told myself at humboldt i would just go out hard and try to hold on.  Next thing you know, me , a teammate, and one other guy are clicking off miles pulling away from the pack.  We all knew eachother, which made for a good enviroment.  I lead out for a few miles in 5:15-5:20 pace, then the other guy took over for a few miles, and then finally my teammate took over for 6-8.  We dropped a 5:05 at mile 8 which kinda took the snap out of my legs.  Right after that the other guy started to pull and i fell off, and then did my team mate.  For the next 5 miles it was me trying to real in my team mate unsuccessfully.  I got within 5-10 yards of him a few times, but never could make contact.  Ended up finishing 10 seconds behind him.

Come to find out the first place guy ran 68:30, so he picked up a minute on us in like 5 miles, but we found out from some other people he is a sub 4 minute miler, so i don't feel that bad.  Nice guy afterwards, looking forward to racing him some more.

Next, clarksburg Half, Solano Turkey Trot 5k, then CIM.
1.5 Mile:

dwang_71

Post by dwang_71 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:31 pm

I was hoping you can share your tapering strategy for CIM as I am also running it, but no where close to your level, but always appreciate learning from how others taper. It is the most difficult part for me in the training. I am following Tinman's training approach pretty closely and plan to avg 100 mile weeks for the next 3-4 weeks with two key workouts per week (1 TT and 1 long run with some MP miles). I just finally logged two consective 100 weeks and feel pretty good. Not sure how to taper for an upcoming 5k in the middle of this training cycle also. Just wanted to get your thoughts or anyone else reading this thread.
Thanks!
Dwang_71

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:24 pm

[quote="dwang_71"]
Not sure how to taper for an upcoming 5k in the middle of this training cycle also. Just wanted to get your thoughts or anyone else reading this thread.
[/quote]

For a Sunday race (obviously shift one day forward for Saturday race).  Unless it is a 5k that you really care about, treat it similarly to how you would prepare for a track workout.  A couple of lighter days will have you ready to give it an honest effort on race day, but without destroying your marathon training.     

Friday - Short and easy
Saturday - Still short but on the faster end of easy
Sunday - Normal warmup.  30-45 minute cooldown.  Then run 30-40 minutes in the afternoon very easy.
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:43 pm

For a 5k you have to ask yourself, is it a race or is it a workout? 

There is no middle ground.  If it's a workout, treat it as a vo2 workout and don't taper.  Shift your workouts so you don't do a vo2 effort that week other than the race.

If its a race, then a 2 or 3 day taper is all you need.  I like 50%, 0%, 25% the 3 days prior.  so if your doing 10 and 5 usually, do 5 strides and 2.5(round if you want), and 3.5 w/ strides(rounded) but everyone tapers differently so do what you do best.

As for CIM, you should read tinmans article on tapering becuase everyone is different.  I do best off of short tapers, so you will see that i will probably do a Thanksgiving 5k as my final hard effort, a couple of 75% days, then drop to 50% for the final week with a steep fall of at the end:

Heres an example:

If i usually do 10 a day and 20 on the weekends, then 10 days prior would look like

Thur:5k
Friday: 7.5 (75%)
Saturday:7.5 (75%)
Sunday: 10 (50%)
Mon: 5 (50%)
Tuesday: Abbreviated Workout
Wed: 5 (50%)
Thur: 5 (50%)
Fri: 0 (hell yea)
Sat: 2.5 (25%)
Sun: Race