Local Florida High School Runner Goes Sub 15:00

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Chris

Local Florida High School Runner Goes Sub 15:00

Post by Chris » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:42 pm

My son ran in a large cross country invitational meet this past Saturday. In the race, under hot and humid conditions (84º with a heat index of 90º), Ryan Pickering bested his previous pr by 39 seconds, finishing in 14:58. Pickering is the current Florida state mile champion.

It was quite a race to watch.

http://fl.milesplit.com/articles/51341

Spanish River Invitational: Pickering Blazes Past Del Valle

By Jason Byrne / September 25, 2010 10:11 AM

A shocker at the Spanish River Invitational today... Ryan Pickering of John I. Leonard upset Armando del Valle of Miami Columbus, who is nationally-ranked and widely considered to be Florida's top runner. 

Pickering ran an astounding 14:58 on the Spanish River course that is not known for especially being a speedway, but it was today!  Del Valle was in second place about 12 seconds back. 

The John I. Leonard senior ran a very smart race, positioning himself well and running a smooth and even tempo.  With about 1,000 meters to go Del Valle gave the leader a test with a nice charge, but Pickering fought him of and cruised in for victory while Del Valle cool his advances over the final 400 and settled in for second in 15:10.

Del Valle's Columbus once again looked very impressive with their top three under 16 minutes and 4-5 around 16:30.  Their 6 and 7 were also under 17:00.  And if that weren't enough to impress you, in the Boys JV race they were perfect... going 1-2-3-4-5-(6)-(11) with about a 17:25 team average, lead by a 16:51 from sophomore Daniel Linares.