Did any Tinman trained runners compete in Boston today?

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

BoilerTom90

Did any Tinman trained runners compete in Boston today?

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm curious how they did.  Please speak up and let us know how you did if you were either directly trained by Tinman or train via his philosophies.

Tom

ap4305

Re: Did any Tinman trained runners compete in Boston today?

Post by ap4305 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:34 pm

Drew Bean ran 2:28.  Based on his halfway split it looks like he was going for the Trials standard again.  Obviously Tinman or Drew could give you the definitive answer. 
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:17 am

Drew was in excellent condition for Boston, but he made a mistake early and continued to do so: he consumed a gel pack at 5 miles and regularly consumed sports drink & gels. He consumed way too much "sugar" and was unable to pass fluid into his bloodstream. He started vomiting at 19 miles and a couple miles later had to shut it down; he continued to vomit, over and over - even at the finish. He said he legs felt good and he was doing just fine up until 20 miles, when  he became dehydrated from all the vomiting.

It's a shame to have that happen, and I blame myself for not telling him to avoid those gels and sugary drinks. I feel awful about the whole thing. Luckily, Drew is such a good sport, and he has a great attitude about the experience; stating he will chalk it up to being young and inexperienced.  He knows he was super fit, far exceeding any workouts he did prior to his Houston 2:24 time. Literally he was 8-10 seconds per mile faster on all his long repeats during training, and he ran more mileage, too. Oh well, moving on is all that can be done. Smile, it's going to get better, I say!
Last edited by Tinman on Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:57 pm

tinman, what is your philosophy on gel/fueling during the marathon?
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10
Powered by Powerbar - www.powerbar.com
Dressed for Success in Brooks - www.brooksrunning.com
Running log - http://www.logarun.com/calendars/atimmins/
Running Blog - http://www.powerbar.com/blog/atimmins.aspx

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:00 am

Briefly:

If you run under 3 hours - no gels should be taken. If you run over 3 hours, one per hour, starting at 90 minutes, is ok. If you take a gel, don't take sports drink.

For runners under 3 hours, start sports drink at 1 hour and drink a cup every half an hour, but drink water at the same stop to prevent too much concentrated sugar in your belly.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

breger1

Post by breger1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 am

I have to jump in here, in that I have been training with Tinman and ran Boston this past week.  Not that I'm a fast runner or anything - far from it.  I'm nearly 58 years old, have only been running for 5 years, but I like to do things the "right way".  So about a year ago I asked Tinman to help me BQ - which he did!

I live in South Florida which is flat as a pancake, so the late hills of Boston had me worried.  I trained on my one-and-only anthill overpass but it really wasn't much help, though I did punish that thing during training.

I also had a bit of a minor hamstring issue late in my training.  So I decided to run Boston conservatively.  I started out easy and kept it easy throughout the first 9 miles which were predominantly downhill.  I knew many runners blow their Boston races by going out too hard on the downhills and I knew I needed to save some energy for the late hills.

I got through the hills in good shape, never walking any.  But I didn't have much left in the tank and finished in 3:55:15.  I was happy with that.  I decided on a plan, stuck with it, and it worked out okay.  I could perhaps have come in maybe 5 minutes faster, but for a first time Boston I didn't want a death march.

Tinman helped me get to Boston and through Boston, and for that I thank him a lot!

Bill

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:10 am

[quote="breger1"]
I have to jump in here, in that I have been training with Tinman and ran Boston this past week.  Not that I'm a fast runner or anything - far from it.  I'm nearly 58 years old, have only been running for 5 years, but I like to do things the "right way".  So about a year ago I asked Tinman to help me BQ - which he did!

I live in South Florida which is flat as a pancake, so the late hills of Boston had me worried.  I trained on my one-and-only anthill overpass but it really wasn't much help, though I did punish that thing during training.

I also had a bit of a minor hamstring issue late in my training.  So I decided to run Boston conservatively.  I started out easy and kept it easy throughout the first 9 miles which were predominantly downhill.  I knew many runners blow their Boston races by going out too hard on the downhills and I knew I needed to save some energy for the late hills.

I got through the hills in good shape, never walking any.  But I didn't have much left in the tank and finished in 3:55:15.  I was happy with that.  I decided on a plan, stuck with it, and it worked out okay.  I could perhaps have come in maybe 5 minutes faster, but for a first time Boston I didn't want a death march.

Tinman helped me get to Boston and through Boston, and for that I thank him a lot!

Bill
[/quote]

Breger,

For what it's worth,  a running friend of mine who ran Chicago in just under 3:15 last fall, came in over 4:00 hours at Boston.  The same [meltdown] happened to quite a few other runners I know, except for one guy that keeps getting faster: he ran a 2:44 at Boston.  Take pride in the smart training and running a smart race.

Tom