Master's 3,000m National Championships today!

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Pete Magill just emailed to tell me that Andrew Duncan, whom I have coached for 3.5 years, won the USATF National Masters 3000 meters race today. Below are the results.

A big "HOO-AH" to Andrew - what a tremendous accomplisment for him! His dedication has paid off!

Event 603 M40 3000 Meter Run Bob Fine Mem
=======================================================================
Name Age Team Finals Points
=======================================================================
1 Andrew Duncan M41 Unattached,Washingt 8:59.55 8
2 James Jackson M42 Unattached,Denton, 9:11.91 6
3 Mark Hixson M43 Unattached,Simsbury 9:14.13 4
4 Francis Burdett M44 Greater Spri,Worces 9:16.48 3
5 Eugene Tung M43 Greater Phil,Lansda 9:44.10 2
6 Matt Richards M42 Unattached,Lynchbur 9:57.62 1

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Kevin3310

Post by Kevin3310 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:43 pm

Wow Congratulations! Do you know how much he has improved since he first came to you? Must feel good as a coach to see someone improve over time.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:07 pm

Kevin -

Andrew was running in the mid-16's, for the 5k, when I first started coaching him. He was 38 years old, I think, at the time. In about 4 months he ran close to 16 minutes, as I recall, at Carlsbad. The following year he ran 15:51 at Carlsbad. Last spring he ran 15:43 in the Carlsbad, at age 40. Andrew had competed for about 25 years, I think. He ran collegiately, but is faster now in distance races.
Last spring Andrew started running 3,000m races to get ready for the National Master's race held in Eugene, Oregon, during the US Olympic Trials. He improved steadily and placed second, overall, in 8:51 (in warm and humid weather).

This winter Andrew adjusted to new surroundings. His job (he's an attorney for Las Vegas) sent him to Washington D.C. for a year. He learned to adjust to training in winter weather and ran in a few indoor races to prepare of the Master's National Indoor 3,000m race (3- weeks ago achieved a 9:06 and 7 weeks ago he ran 9:29). Today he ran 8:59 today; had there been someone to run with in the race I think his time would have been near 8:50. His training has been consistent, despite the winter challenges he faced, along with travel to and from Vegas a few times.

I am pround to coach Andrew and see him improve, setting personal bests as a Masters runner, but even more proud to know him. He's a genuine person, honest, cosiderate, and dedicated to doing his training the right way. I never have to worry about Andrew; he runs the workouts right on target, moves the workouts a day forward or backward if the weather or his health is not the best, and keeps me informed. He's not needy or greedy, but patient, persistent, and mature. It's a pleasure to call him "friend."

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Congratulations to the both of you!

That is really good news to hear for the both of you.

retread

Post by retread » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 pm

Another congrats from here--great running, Andrew. I remember the 8:51 last year and the Carlsbad race. You have to be running at a very high level to be competitive in those events.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:47 am

Andrew and I had a long talk today about his races and the future. The 3000m race was basically one that Andrew ran alone, after the first lap. Since Andrew is a true competitor, we know he would have run a much lower time than 8:59 in the 3000m. Yesterday's 1 mile race was tactical. Andrew was boxed in big-time on the first lap, so went through in only 39-40 seconds. He ran wide for a ways than made it to the front. He won in 4:36, but with a fast pace from the gun it would have been closer to 4:30.

Andrew reminded me that he ran three 5ks in the 15:40's last winter/spring, with a 15:43 best at Carlsbad. He ran 8:59 at Los Angeles in a 3000m race and then 8:51 at Eugene, Oregon, to take 2nd place at the Master's race during the Olympic Trials in July in warm weather (he ran 64 seconds for his last 400m).

Andrew will be heading out to Carlsbad in two weeks. Hopefully he'll find some competition near his ability. As he said on the phone, he's caught in no-man's land; far enough behind Pete Magill, Dennis Simonaitis, and Tony Young (if he runs) that he runs with nobody. (I think Andrew was 5th last year.) I expect him to run faster this year; if the travel from D.C. goes well.

Andrew does read the posts here and appreciates your supportive comments!

Take care,

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Andrew and Tom, congrats to you both. That is awesome !

Jman

Post by Jman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:30 pm

Congratulations Tinman and Andrew!!

Jman