Fundamental Training Question

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fundamental Training Question

Post by Tinman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Good ideas presented so far!

The problem adults have (or anyone who works for that matter) is the normal business work-week, which is M-Friday, typically. Runners have to adjust to that and other restrictions, rather than do what is more natural for their bodies. Years ago, when I was determined to train according to how my body really felt, not limited to a 7 day week, I tried various options. I started with 3 day cycles, and that worked better than three hard workouts per week because I was doing 3 hard workouts spread over 9 days. I tried making it a 10-day cycle, and that worked but not a lot better than a 9-day cycle. I tried other combinations. Finally, I tried a 5 day cycle, and that worked the best overall for me. Usually I was working labor intensive jobs, and that may be a reason why I was not able to run hard more often. Part of my problem, too, was that I had sleeping issues - insomnia and got poor quality sleep some nights.

Anyway, my suggestion is to consider using a non-conventional design to your training plan, if you are disciplined enough to make it work.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

roadracebc

Post by roadracebc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:10 pm

I was wondering what drills/stretching that each of you do? Here are a few details about me - 6'4" and 180lbs, 45 year old. 5K pr 20:46 set Nov, 2013. 10K pr 44:17 Oct, 2013. Hilly 10 Miler(Quarryman Challenge) 1:15:45, May, 2014. Injured my left foot doing a tri Sep, 2014 and didn't start running again until January of this year. Started running under Tinman's coaching this year and slowly built up from January and had built up to about 40mi/wk over the last couple of months until I got a sinus infection at the beginning of the month. Took two weeks off running and started back last Tuesday with easy runs. Goal is to run a 5K @ 6 minute pace and can't believe that I have had such a difficult time of reaching this goal. Warm weather and humidity affect me more than I thought it ever could. I love weather that is 50* or cooler and those conditions is where I run my best by far. I have a 5K on 10/31 and think I am in low 22 min shape. I enjoy reading all of your posts and was just looking for input on what drills/stretching each of you do? In my current job I work from 10-11 hours sitting at a desk. I try to get up every hour or so to walk around. I work for a transportation company and have been in this position since March, 2014. I just feel as though I am stiffening up and don't feel as fluid as I did early last year. Could be just a part of getting older but I read about Dave Peters and Captain Blood and others that I am sure I am missing....and you have gotten faster in your 40's and later. Again, I appreciate your responses.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:35 pm

As someone who also has a job that is not physically demanding, although I do quite a bit of walking at work, here are my suggestions.

(1) This is going to sound stupid but it absolutely changed things for me once I noticed it — if you use a wallet, do not keep it in your back pocket while you sit. The uneven sitting surface can be terrible for your body and I attribute this practice to a series of hamstring and piriformis/nerve issues I was having in graduate school. I haven’t had any insertional tendinitis or IT band issues since.

(2) Get in a routine, even if it is only ten minutes 3 times per week where you are doing something for stabilization of hips/lower back/glutes/low core. Whether it be balance ball exercises, pilates, certain types of yoga, a balance board - whatever. Find a good series of these types of exercises and do them religiously. I spend an extra 5-10 min per day 5-6 days per week rotating through three different “sets” and I think it helps immensely. I just ran my first race (a 5k) in over 8 months last weekend after the birth of my daughter in February and I was shocked at how ‘stable’ I felt at high speed. I ended up going under my goal time by a full minute.

roadracebc

Post by roadracebc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Thanks for the response. I haven't sat with my wallet in my pocket for a few years because it was causing problems. I will follow your advice on the exercises. I have a balance board and will start doing a routine. I have ligament damage in my left ankle from an injury 20 years ago and don't have the stability with that leg. This will help with that. Do you do these after your run or before? Thanks again, Dilluh.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:58 pm

Immediately after my run in the mornings. If I don't do it then, I rarely find the time/energy to do them in the evening - even a measly 5 minutes can seem an enormous task on a weeknight after work + dinner prep + baby, etc.

There are many good trunk/core/hip stabilization exercises available. My wife is a Pilates junky so I've adopted many of those exercises/movements into my routines. Your balance board (or Bosu ball) is a good tool as well as is a large stability ball. I cycle through a three day rotation of pilates exercises, balance board exercises and stability ball exercises twice per week, Sunday off.