Training schedules and the flu...

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Racerdb

Training schedules and the flu...

Post by Racerdb » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:53 am

Thought I'd throw this out for discussion. I'm being coached by Tom and I'm currently in the middle of my first 12 week block. Training has been going very well...ran a very good 15 mile 'Wave' run Saturday afternoon then out of no where... Could barely get out of bed Sunday. Incredible fatigue, slept most the day, had no appetite, spent most the day on the toilet. Kept hydrated by drinking water all day. Felt like crap. But I think I got thru it and took no cold meds.

Monday I felt 100% better. Got my appetite back later in the day. By bedtime I was feeling almost normal. I didn't run Sunday or Monday. Fortunately, I only had a 24 hour flu.

So... Where do I pick up the schedule? Today is supposed to be a 12 mile fartlek, tomorrow an easy 8, Thur 10 w/4 threshold miles, friday easy 8. I'm thinking: bag the 12 today and do an easy 6 instead, do the easy 8 tomorrow then get back on schedule with the Thursday threshold workout. And If it matters I'm almost 55.

Thoughts?

Dave

dkggpeters

Re: Training schedules and the flu...

Post by dkggpeters » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:00 pm

If you only missed 2 days then I would just follow your training schedule as it is written. If your fartleks are like mine, they do not place much stress on the system. When you get out for the training run, if you don't feel well then listen to your body and cut the run short or just run the entire run easy. Getting healthy is priority number one. No reason to miss a bunch of time rather than just a few days.

Racerdb

Re: Training schedules and the flu...

Post by Racerdb » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:12 am

Just a follow up...

I ended up taking Tom's advice of doing 50% of Tuesdays workout and then I'll do 70% of today's workout tonite. Back to the regular schedule Thursday. Didn't feel the greatest but got it done.

Dave