Treadmill Purchase

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Run4ms

Treadmill Purchase

Post by Run4ms » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Hey gang,

I am not sure if this is the correct section to post this question. I am in search of a new treadmill that wold be conducive to my serious training regime. I don't know where to really start looking with brand or place to purchase.

I appreciate any and all recommendations.

Thanks!

Racerdb

Re: Treadmill Purchase

Post by Racerdb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:08 pm

My first post on the forums...

I've been very happy with my Sole F80. After running for 38 years in the cold, wind, dark, snow, ice...I decided 2 years ago to get a treadmill to make the winters a little more tolerable.

I've done all types workouts on it...Tempos, long runs (up to 15 miles), speed work, hills. I've even done 10x400 on it in the middle of summer when the heat & humidity outside would have made the workout impossible.

Its on sale here http://www.soletreadmills.com/ for $1499. Dicks Sporting Goods is selling them now too.

Highly recommended! Some advice: I always run with some fans blowing...

Dave

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:09 pm

I started with a the Sole and thought it was a pretty good treadmill too. However, it only lasted about 2 years, and it was primarily used during the winter months, but then not even every day. The problems I had were the following:

- the bolt that held the incline motor in place broke once
- slop developed in the slot the key fits into. With normal jarring of the treadmill while running, the treadmill would shut off. I replaced the console once, which fixed it for a while. After the same problem developed a second time, I fixed it by gluing part of a razor blade to the key to make the key fatter and eliminate the slop.
- the last and final nail in the coffin for me was the treadmill would just shut off after about 5 minutes of running. I suspect it over-heated.

I now have a Landice L7 and it's a awesome treadmill. I've had it for 3+ years. Both my son and I use it and have put a lot of miles on it. No problems. It's about 2x the price of the sole, but sometimes you can find them no ebay or craigslist.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks guys for the advice and some options to look in to. I know that it is one of the best times to purchase one with all of the new year's resolution sales!