Book For Sale !!!

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

monica

Re: Book For Sale !!!

Post by monica » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:14 pm

I sent you an email, it's pretty important (about some incorrect data), thanks :)

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Got the email Monica!

I mailed your book this evening before the Postal Annex closed.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

monica

Post by monica » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:31 pm

[quote="Tinman"]
Got the email Monica!

I mailed your book this evening before the Postal Annex closed.
[/quote]

wow cool, thanks :)

Captainblood

Post by Captainblood » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Just got the book in the mail -- WOOT!  It looks awesome, Tom!

Congratulations!  You must be over the moon.  I can't wait to read it.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:30 pm

I am hoping that mine is there when I get home.  Family is away for the weekend and I have a lot of idle time (I should be doing other things but you know how that goes).

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Mine (well, one for me and one for my son) arrived today too. Can't wait to get started reading it!

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:05 pm

I got mine today.  Scanned for a half hour and had to get my miles in.  I like what I scanned a lot.  Will be reading tonight and tomorrow quite a bit.

toughnessbucket

Post by toughnessbucket » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Received my book also today. Congratulations on your hard work paying off!

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:58 pm

I got mine yesterday. I've gone through large portions of it already and I have to say, "well done, Tom!" This is a tour de force regarding all things running and the way topics are presented very much have your style and philosophy in them.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:59 pm

Thanks guys!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

runkona

Post by runkona » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:49 am

[quote="Tinman"]
Thanks guys!
[/quote]

Tom may I Order one plse
Age is just a number after your name

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:17 am

runkona -

I have 4 books left. You may place your order on my business website right away and send me your address.

http://www.runningprs.com/book-for-sale.html

If you want a book, and you don't see an option for your location on my website, please send me an email (runfastcoach@gmail.com) and ask about the shipping cost. The Postal Annex is closed today (Sunday), but I can call them in the morning to find out specific shipping costs. As mentioned before, I charge $20 for the book, signed for you with something relevant, not just a signature and "Best Wishes."

If for example, you live in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, or Hong Kong, all places where my clients have lived in the past or present, there is no current listing on my website to mail a book to those locations. So, if you ask me for a book and your residence locale is not listed, request that I call the Postal Annex, whenever they are open, and get the price for you. Then, if you are serious about ordering the book, I'll put a "shopping cart" on my website with that amount (plus the $20 per book), so that it's easy for you to order. I want to make the purchase process easy and uncomplicated for you. Thanks

Once the books are gone, I will be glad to sign books, but I may ask people to order books online and have them mailed to my home. I'll then sign the books and mail it to the address of each person. I'll just create a shopping cart on my business website (www.runningprs.com) for the shipping cost(s), to make it easy to pay.  I'll just ask that anyone mailing it to me to send me an email to get my address before ordering the book. Thanks!
Last edited by Tinman on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

peterb

Post by peterb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:46 pm

Tom - i was expecting the release of this long awaited book with great anticipation, since two true "authorities" in the field of running authored the book. i am an avid reader of all things running, a former sub 2:25 marathoner with a background in Kinesiology/Exercise Science. I have been following this truly remarkable website, with a quality and in depth discussion like no other, for quite some time. Likewise, i have been following your co-author Pete Magill and his contributions on Running Times. With that said, expectations for Build your Running Body were high, at least on my part.
A tremendous amount of work must have gone into the sheer volume of the book and its illustrations. The content, however, is something different. Those of us expecting a more in depth discussion on the practical application of training principles are simply expecting too much. Not a word on the 2 Big W/O philosophy, CRV training paces or other important concepts so often discussed in this forum. Is this Pete's handwriting at work. Periodization is woefully short and sample schedules are just like that, generic cut and paste schedules. The scope of the book, for my part, is way too broad (e.g. nutrition, auxiliary exercises) while it does not really focus on the more practical implementation of principles discussed. i doubt the beginning runner would be too much concerned with increasing capillary density rather than just running for a certain amount of time or just finishing a 5 or 10k race. The target audience is (deliberately?) too broad with a little bit for everyone, but nothing in depth for the more interested.
By the way, assumptions made in table 5.2. about fiber conversation are simply lacking scientific back-up. An untrained person with a genetically endowed slow twitch ratio of 47%, will simply never ever, even with years of training 100+miles/wk  reach a 84% ratio. Sorry, mother nature is brutally unfair, and very few people are born elite marathoners.
I have filed my copy of the book as an "oddball" and are therefore looking forward to many more high quality discussions on this website and Pete's work on his website and Running Times magazine.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:09 pm

I thought I remember Tom saying that he was writing another book...

Perhaps that one will be single-author and have a clear focus on what the Tinman training philosophy is?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 pm

Peter,

I saw your review of the book on Amazon too. First, I was not in charge of the book; that's why some of the key training methods that I use are not in the book, extensively or at all. I had a boss who told me what he wanted and I followed orders. At times, I argued for more details, more frameworks, and so on, but I didn't sway the boss my direction very often. He had a clear idea in mind what he wanted, and that was that. Yes, he wrote for the masses, and yes the training schedules are not written for high-level runners. That was intended. It is not correct to state we used copied and pasted, cookie-cutter training schedules. We wrote them by hand, and it took a lot of effort and time, at least it did for me. 
Last edited by Tinman on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com