Results from the "short week state series" question posed a few posts below.

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

BURN7

Results from the "short week state series" question posed a few posts below.

Post by BURN7 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Well I took Tinman's suggestion once again and implemented CV with a bit more recocery and some 150's at 800 pace to follow.  My goal is to be totally prepared come next Saturday so I was advised to keep training and save the "peak" workout for this week.  I am glad I listened as my girl PRd AGAIN running 5:00.7 to win the state group title.  She was sitting 3rd with 400 to go as planned in our strategy and got to work with 2 laps to go (200 meter track).  She laid the wood to the competition and closed in a 33 second 200 to win pulling away from the field.  QUITE THE RACE TO WATCH!

Tinman I would assume that when you talk about stamina training and the impact of CV reps a finish like she had is what you mean! 

My other runner ran another PR in the 3200 by 5 seconds.  Last week she lowered it by 26 seconds and yesterday another 5.  I always preach to y kids that I want them to drop bombs when it matters and now it is happening.  I spoke to my miler about "going to the well" every week is detrimental to continued improvement and I think CV and aerobic fitness being in every phase makes sure HS coaches do not add another anaerobic butt buster in the middle of a week which may include a meet where a kid triples as well as having run a dual meet during that week.